We’ve been having so much for with our #SundaySupper posts. We have delighted in so many wonderful themes since the start of the year. Some of which were indulgent and totally enjoyable. We are thinking about our waistline this week. This is the “Skinny” edition of #SundaySupper! Our wonderful host is Sunithi from Sue’s Nutrition Buzz. Sue is a Registered Dietician and knows all about good, healthy food! You may remember I made a salad that Sunithi made from a past #SundaySupper event to celebrate the first #SundaySupper anniversary. As always, I’m excited to see the line up. Perhaps feasting the recipes with my eyes will make my waistline appear smaller. We’ll see.
For today’s recipe, I didn’t use a book or online source. I drew inspiration from a breakfast dish my Dad used to make for me. Some Saturday mornings, he would make saltfish and cabbage with boiled dumplings and green banana. Totally delicious, satisfying and good for you. But since I’m doing a skinny dish, I decided to go easy on the carbs ~ for today. As for the salmon, I just used some simple ingredients and made a quick marinade. I’ve learned that salmon doesn’t need a lot of ingredients to make it taste good. A few herbs did the trick.
- 2 Salmon Steaks
- 4 Tsp Olive Oil
- 1 Tsp Dried Oregano
- 1/2 Tsp Dried Thyme
- 1/4 Tsp Salt
- 1/4 Tsp Pepper
- 1 Garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 Green Cabbage, core removed and cut into strips about half an inch thick
- 1/2 Medium Onion, thinly sliced
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Tbsp Butter
- 1/4 Cup Unsalted Chicken Broth
- 1 Cups Sweet Peas (I used frozen)
- Salt & Pepper
- Preheat oven to 425
- In a small bowl, add olive oil, oregano, thyme, salt, pepper and garlic
- Coat the salmon with the herb mixture
- Place salmon in an oven proof pan (or baking sheet) lined with foil
- Roast for 20 minutes or until cooked through
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil and butter. Mix to combine.
- Add onion and saute until softened, about 5 minutes
- Add the cabbage strips, a handful at a time
- Sprinkle a pinch of salt and pepper to taste
- Add broth and cover for about 10 minutes
- Toss the cabbage to ensure the top gets a chance to soften
- Add peas to the centre of the skillet on top of the cabbage
- Cover for about 5 minutes, then stir to get the peas evenly distributed
- Add additional broth if needed/desired
- When cabbage is softened and peas warmed through, serve with salmon
I absolutely adore salmon. Roasting it is so easy and wonderful. I like mine well done with just a little crispiness at the edges. Salmon is one of the best sources of Omega-3 Fatty Acids – a perfect brain food! It is also an excellent source of protein. Salmon has a wonderful flavour that is quite distinct. It can be prepared in so many ways. I’ve steamed it in parchment, baked it, pan seared it and of course, I’ve roasted it too.
When it comes to cabbage, I will admit that I do not have it enough. It is awesome if you are trying to lose or maintain weight. Its low in calories plus it is packed with nutrients! I used a whole head of cabbage for this dish, which I realized afterwards that I didn’t need that much. Half will do. I made the appropriate adjustments in the recipe.
I’ve always loved peas. It wasn’t my intention to add the peas but I bought a few bags of organic frozen peas on sale recently, so I figured I should use it up! If I have to buy preserved vegetables, I prefer the frozen kind. Green peas are rich in vitamins and aid in the metabolism of fats, carbs and protein. I think it’s a great tasting veggie and pairs wonderfully with the cabbage.
With a few simple ingredients, you can make a healthy, figure friendly meal in no time! I absolutely enjoyed this dish. In fact, I think I feel skinny already
Be sure to check out the other “skinny” recipes being shared by the #SundaySupper team!
Sizzling Skinny Appetizers & Soups
- Napa Cabbage wrapped Chinese Spring Rolls by Small Wallet Big Appetite
- #DairyFree Cream of Broccoli Soup by Galactosemia in PDX
- Easy Vegan Lentil Soup by NeighborFood
- Spicy Asian Chicken Noodle Soup by Food Lust People Love
- Tomato Basil Soup by No One Likes Crumbley Cookies
- Skinny Beef Chili by Webicurean
Healthy Skinny Mains & Sides
- Chicken with Herb Tomatoes and Pan Sauce by Hezzi D’s Books & Cooks
- Kale Salad with Pomegranates, Apples and Walnuts by The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Skinny Salad Wraps by MamaMommyMom
- Mashed Cauliflower by Supper for a Steal
- Lamb Florentine Burger with Tzatziki by Country Girl in the Village
- Skinny Avocado Egg Salad Wraps by The Daily Dish Recipes
- Greek Yogurt Chicken Salad by Family Foodie
- Parchment-Poached Salmon by Simply Gourmet
- Maddy’s Arugula Salad by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Cauliflower Pizza by Cravings of a Lunatic
- Light chicken enchiladas by My Cute Bride
- Pear Almond Arugula Salad with Honey Vinaigrette by Vintage Kitchen
- Pasta Primavera by Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Cauliflower Fried Rice by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Ahi Tuna Salad by The Urban Mrs
- Soba Noodles with Edamame and Green Onions by Hip Foodie Mom
- Scallops Hong Kong Style by Magnolia Days
- Slow Cooker Pork and Green Chile Stew by Momma’s Meals
- Roasted Garlic, Chicken & Herb White Pizza by Dinners Dishes and Desserts
- Polynesian Salad with Pineapple Vinaigrette by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Herb Roasted Salmon with Steamed Cabbage & Peas by The Lovely Pantry
- Turkey and Black Bean Taco Burgers by In The Kitchen With K P
- Salmon Tikka Wraps with Cucumber Raita by Soni’s Food
- Whole wheat pasta with Spicy Roasted Cauliflower by Crispy Bits & Burnt Ends
- Slow Cooker Baby Back Ribs by I Run For Wine
- Chipotle Black Bean Burgers with Baked Garlic Home Fries by Curious Cuisiniere
- The Ninja Baker’s Sake & Miso Salmon by Ninja Baking
- Roasted Sweet Potato, Quinoa and Black Bean Burgers with Parsnip Fries by Gourmet Drizzles
- Slow Cooker Chicken and Smoked Sausage Cassoulet by The Weekend Gourmet
- Cumin Roasted Cauliflower and Carrots by Mangoes and Chutney
- Italian Sub Salad by Diabetic Foodie
- Swiss Chard and Quinoa Croquettes by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Broccoli Patties with Arugula and Champagne Vinaigrette by Sustainable Dad
- Raw Kale Salad with Chickpeas and Salmon in Orange Dressing by Shockingly Delicious
- Greek Yogurt Egg Salad Sandwich by Damn Delicious
- Confetti Cabbage and Salmon Wraps by The Roxx Box
- Escarole and Beans by Midlife Roadtrip
- Cajun Black Beans by Ruffles and Truffles
- Caprese salad by The Little Ferraro Kitchen
- Skinny Wholegrain Fettuccine Alfredo with Greek Yogurt & Coconut Oil by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
Guilt Free Skinny Desserts & Snacks
- Chocolate Avocado Cake by Gotta Get Baked
- Tiramisu Parfaits by Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Sugar Free Banana Almond Muffins by What Smells So Good?
- Strawberry Coconut Cinnamon Buns by Juanita’s Cocina
- Warm Apple Crumble by Mama’s Blissful Bites
- Dark Chocolate-Dipped Apricots by girlichef
- Homemade Protein Bar Recipe by Masala Herb
- Skinny Chocolate Almond Pudding by Basic N Delicious
Wine Pairing Recommendations for Skinny Sunday Supper by ENOFYLZ Wine Blog
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter each Sunday. We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. This week we will be sharing out special skinnified recipes!
Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET and you do not want to miss out on the fun.
Follow the#SundaySupper hash tag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat.
Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Join us Around the Family Table this Sunday at 7pm Eastern Time and share your favorite healthy recipes with us!read more