Today’s #SundaySupper is so cool! We are all doing a post inspired by a special or favourite movie. Have you been able to think of a food or beverage and immediately connect it to a movie? You know, like how Carrie has her special Cosmopolitan and Bond has his Martini “shaken, not stirred.” You get the idea. Our host today is none other than Heather from GirliChef! Check out Heather’s awesome recipes on her blog.
I chose the movie Soul Food. I loved the movie so naturally, I loved the series too. I watched every single episode. I laughed. I cried. I crushed. Yes, Boris Kodjoe is the ish! I’m over him now, but back then….just looking at him made my day. I loved the series so much that I jumped at the chance to be an extra in one of the episodes. That’s right. I was on set for about 12 hours, mostly doing nothing – but I was there. It’s too bad I have no idea what season or episode it was. Ha! Ah well.
In the movie, I loved that every Sunday the family got together and had a big meal that everyone would enjoy. It was a time to catch up, work out issues, and share joys. You see, I believe I loved it because the values portrayed in the movie were similar to mine. The focus, aside from all the drama and family bickering, was always on family and bringing them back together after tremendous turmoil. Family first. I love a good drama. If you haven’t seen Soul Food (1997), it’s definitely an oldie but goodie.
It’s too bad that the idea of Soul Food generally means something deep fried, sugar filled or unhealthy but incredibly tasty. Today I’m sharing a recipe that is a cleaner version of a Soul Food dessert. I wanted to try it because 1. I have never made a cobbler before and 2. I’m coming off a juice fast and I need a sweet treat that won’t throw me off my goal. I love that there are fruits and that the cake is made with spelt flour. Totally my kind of dessert!
This recipe was adapted from recipe "Peach & Blackberry Cobbler" found in The Best of Clean Eating
- For the fruit layer:
- Cooking Spray
- 4 Peaches
- 1 Cup Blueberries.
- 1 Cup Strawberries, hulled and diced
- 2 Tbsp light Agave
- 1/2 Tsp Ground Ginger
- Top layer
- 2 Tbsp Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
- 1/4 Cup Light Agave Nectar
- 1/2 Cup Unsweetened Almond Milk
- 1 Tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 Tsp Pure Almond Extract
- A sqirt of lemon juice - about 2 tsp
- 1 Cup Spelt Flour
- 1/4 Cup Rolled Oats (not the instant oats)
- 1 Tbsp Baking powder
- 1/2 Tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1/4 Tsp Fine Sea Salt
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Coat a medium sized heat proof dish with cooking spray (at least 1.5 inches deep)
- Prepare the fruits: Peel and cut peaches into slices about quarter inch thick. Place in a medium sized mixing bowl. Add blueberries and strawberries. Toss with flour, agave, lemon juice and ginger. Toss to make sure everything is combined well. Set aside.
- Top layer: In another bowl, Whisk melted coconut oil, agave, and almond milk. Set aside
- Blend the spelt flour with the oats in a food processor. Transfer to another bowl and then add baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Whisk to combine.
- Gradually transfer the almond milk mixture into the flour mixture. Stir/whisk to combine. This will yield a thick batter.
- Using a large spoon, drop the batter randomly over the fruit mixture.
- Place dish over a lined rimmed cookie sheet
- Bake for 50-55 minutes, rotating half way through
- Serve warm with ice cream
Here are the links to some wonderful recipes. Check them out!
Toast (bready things)
- Scones (inspired by Tea with Mussolini) – Country Girl in the Village
- Croque Monsieur (inspired by It’s Complicated) – That Skinny Chick Can Bake!!!
- “Eat Me” Blueberry Lemon Scones (inspired by Alice in Wonderland) – The Messy Baker
- Dog Bone Breadsticks (inspired by Frankenweenie) – The Urban Mrs.
- Individual Deep Dish Pizzas (inspired by Mystic Pizza) – Momma’s Meals
- Basic Bread Recipe (inspired by Agora) – Masala Herb
- Mystical Double Cheese Pizza (inspired by Mystic Pizza) – Webicurean
- Vanilla Cinnamon Pancakes (inspired by No Reservations) – Pies and Plots
No Reservations (soups and salads)
- 10-Minute Potato Ham Soup with Pesto Swirl (inspired by Julie & Julia) – Shockingly Delicious
- Alaska Smoked Salmon, Celery, and Apple Salad (inspired by Salmon Fishing in the Yemen) – Pescetarian Journal
Today’s Special (fish, chicken, beef, and pork)
- الدار البيضاء Fish Tajine (inspired by Casablanca) – Maroc Mama
- Beef and Onions Braised in Beer (inspired by Julie & Julia) – Magnolia Days
- Spicy Seared Tuna with Balsamic Reduction (inspired by Big Fish) – I Run For Wine
- Slow Cooker Braised Short Ribs (inspired by Brave) – Big Bear’s Wife
- Puerco Pibil (inspired by Once Upon a Time in Mexico) – From the Bookshelf
Forks Over Knives (veggie-heavy dishes and sides)
- Eggplant in Garlic Sauce (inspired by The Joy Luck Club) – Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Beet Chips (inspired by Food Matters) – girlichef
- Ratatouille (inspired by Ratatouille) – Noshing With The Nolands
- Mushroom and Asparagus Mini Quiches (inspired by Sixteen Candles) – Home Cooking Memories
- Veg Samosas (inspired by Monsoon Wedding) – My Cute Bride
- Not So Fried Green Tomatoes (inspired by Fried Green Tomatoes) – Mama.Mommy.Mom
- Roasted Taters with Bacon (inspired by Lord of the Rings) – Curious Cuisiniere
- Goat Cheese Basil Grits (inspired by Fried Green Tomatoes) – Diabetic Foodie
Udon (pasta and noodles)
- Big Night Timpano (inspired by Big Night) – Kimchi Mom
- Better Baked Mac & Cheese (inspired by Soul Food) – What Smells So Good?
- Spaghetti with Meatballs and Gravy (inspired by Lady and the Tramp) – Juanita’s Cocina
- Spicy Sichuan Noodles (inspired by Eat Drink Man Woman) – Food Lust People Love
- Chicken Tchoupitoulas Pasta (inspired by Last Holiday) – Gourmet Drizzles
Just Desserts (sweet treats)
- The Best Chocolate Cake (inspired by Chocolat) – The Foodie Army Wife
- Chocolate Almond Torte with Raspberries (inspired by Chocolat) – Vintage Kitchen
- Iocane-Dusted Brownies of Unusual Size (BOUS’) (inspired by The Princess Bride) – The Cooking Actress
- Minny’s Chocolate Pie (inspired by The Help) – Daily Dish Recipes
- Pao de Lo | Portuguese Bundt Sponge Cake (inspired by My Big Fat Greek Wedding) – Family Foodie
- Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Cookie Pie (inspired by Life of Pi) – No One Likes Crumbley Cookies
- Fantasia Cakes (inspired by Disney’s Fantasia) – NinjaBaking. com
- Chocolate Dipped Almond Coconut Bars (inspired by Charlie and the Chocolate Factory) – Kudos Kitchen By Renee
- (Gluten Free) Orange Soda Pound Cake (inspired by Joe Vs The Volcano) – Blueberries and Blessings
- Peach and Berry Cobbler (inspired by Soul Food) – The Lovely Pantry
- Golden Ticket Peanut Butter-Pretzel Truffles (inspired by Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory) – Weekend Gourmet
- French Macarons (inspired by Marie Antoinette) – Happy Baking Days
- Pistachio and Cherry Cannoli Cups (inspired by The Godfather) – Peanut Butter and Peppers
Bottle Shock (beverages)
- Raspberry Cordial (inspired by Anne of Green Gables) – NeighborFood
- Grapefruit Flirtini (inspired by Sex and the City) – Ruffles & Truffles
- Wines To Pair With #SundaySupper Movie-Inspired Recipes (inspired by Sideways) – ENOFYLZ Wine Blog
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday, April 14th to talk all about movies that have inspired us to head into the kitchen – and the food that comes from that inspiration (7pm EST)! We’ll tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Follow the#SundaySupper hashtag, and include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more delicious recipes and food photos.
Announcing the Food & Wine Conference sponsored by Sunday Supper! It’s being held July 19th – 21st in beautiful, sunny Orlando, FL. It’s a must for food bloggers. Check it out by clicking here → Food & Wine Conferenceread more