Chocolate Chip Banana Cake with Banana Cream for #SundaySupper
Welcome to the Valentine’s edition of #SundaySupper. Today we are sharing things we prepare for our loved ones. Our fabulous host is none other than Jen from Juanita’s Cocina! I’m looking forward to seeing all the wonderful main dishes, desserts and drinks being shared today!
My family loves sweet treats. Because of this, I try to substitute and lighten things up a bit or just keep it really simple. I love cooking and baking for them. Its one sure way that I can express my love for them. I knew exactly what I was going to make for today’s #SundaySupper. My kids ask for this cake often enough ever since I made it for the first time a few weeks ago. My baby girl can probably list the ingredients because she has been right there beside me each time I have made it. I’ve even offered it as a gift to a gathering that we went to recently. Total win. Simplicity at its very best.
Originally I was planning to post Bailey’s Banana Cream but it didn’t taste the same as how I did it the first time. So since I clearly haven’t perfected it, I will stick with the Banana Cream. It is the perfect complement to the Banana Cake. This recipe is from my very special book, A Real Taste of Jamaica by Enid Donaldson. There is absolutely no way that bananas should ever go to waste. Not with recipes like this one.
- 1 Cups All Purpose Flour, Unbleached
- 1 Tsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 Tsp Baking Soda
- 1 Eggs
- 1 1/4 Very ripe Bananas, mashed
- 1/2 Stick of Unsalted Butter
- 2/3 Sugar
- 1 Tsp Vanilla
- A pinch of Cardamom
- 1/4 Cup Mini Chocolate Chips
- **Banana Cream**
- 1 Very Ripe Banana
- 2 Tbsp Sugar
- 1/4 Tsp Allspice
- 3/4 Cup Whipping Cream
- **Banana Cream**
- Do this before you make the cake so that it can be refrigerated for a while.
- Whip cream either using a whisk, mini blender or regular blender. I used my Magic Bullet.
- Mix in the banana, sugar and allspice.
- Store in a small container in the fridge until the cake is ready to be served
- Preheat Oven to 375F
- Grease an 8-inch pan and line the base with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, sift flour, baking powder, baking soda, cardamom and salt
- In a large mixing bowl, cream sugar and butter.
- Add egg and mix to combine
- Add mashed banana and vanilla, then mix to combine
- Add the flour mixture into the banana mixture and mix just until combined. Finish combining by hand with a spoon if needed.
- Fold in the chocolate chips
- Bake for 25 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean
- Remove from oven and transfer to a cooling rack.
- Allow to cool for about 30 minutes before slicing.
- Serve topped with Banana Cream
I didn’t change much when it came to the ingredients. I added a pinch of cardamom – just because. For the Banana Cream I replaced nutmeg with allspice. Nutmeg isn’t my favourite. I’ll use it when I have to but for this recipe, the allspice was a lovely addition.
The chocolate chips are an additional treat for this recipe. By itself, it is simply wonderful. The aroma while it is baking is heavenly. Once baked, you’ll find yourself wanting more and more. I speak from personal experience. The banana adds such rich moisture to this cake.
I was bringing desert over to a friend’s house recently. I wanted to dress up this sweet wonderful cake. I doubled the recipe and split the batter. Added chocolate chips to one half and left the other one plain. I decorated the plain cake with slices of banana. Oh, how I love a pretty cake. This cake goes well with Vanilla Ice Cream, of course.
The cream was really lovely. I wondered at first if Banana Cream with Banana Cake would be too much banana. Well, the answer was no. It wasn’t. It was awesome. My kids loved it and have grown to expect it whenever I make this cake. I think I will have to break them out of that expectation.
I just can’t get enough of this cream! I really should figure out the Bailey’s version. I must!!!
Please be sure to check out all the wonderful recipes brought to you by the #SundaySupper family!!
#SundaySupper Valentine’s Day Breakfasts, Apps & Main Dishes:
- Asparagus, Clam & Bay Shrimp Pasta from Galactopdx
- Bacon Double Cheese Burger Bites from In the Kitchen with KP
- Cheese Stuffed Cannelloni from Curious Cuisiniere
- Garlic Shrimp Bruschetta from MarocMama
- Green Olive, Goat Cheese & Basil Crostini from Hip Foodie Mom
- Indian Shrimp Pulao from Soni’s Food
- Individual Beef “Phyll-ingtons” from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Ranch, Bacon and Cheese Crisps from Daily Dish Recipes
- Red Velvet Pancakes with Cream Cheese Frosting from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Rissóis de Camarão | Portuguese Shrimp Dumplings from Family Foodie
- Spicy Red Cabbage Quiche | Veggie Quiche Recipe from Masala Herb
#SundaySupper Valentine’s Day Sweet Eats:
- Banana Bourbon Blondies from The Messy Baker
- Banana Cream Napoleon from Food Lust People Love
- Brown Butter M&M Cookies from Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts
- Brown Butter Rolo Toffee Chocolate Chip Cookies from Damn Delicious
- Chocolate Baumkuchen from Webicurean
- Chocolate Bread Pudding from La Cocina de Leslie
- Chocolate Chip Banana Cake with Banana Cream from The Lovely Pantry
- Chocolate Covered Bacon from I Run For Wine
- Chocolate Covered Stuffed Strawberries from Country Girl in the Village
- Chocolate Mousse from Mom, What’s For Dinner?
- Chocolate Roll filled with Nutella Cream from Basic N Delicious
- Chocolate Velvet Ice Cream with Cherry Sauce from Vintage Kitchen Notes
- Cinnamon Sugar Tortillas with Chocolate Sauce from The Roxx Box
- Coconut Sweetheart Cookies from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Coeur a la Creme from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Cream Cheese Mints from Simply Gourmet
- Dark Chocolate Pomegranate Mousse with Coconut Cream from Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Dark Chocolate Raspberry Torte from Kelly Bakes
- #GlutenFree Chocolate Almond Cloudless Cake from Cooking Underwriter
- Heart Shaped White Chocolate Cakes with Raspberry Cream from Noshing with the Nolands
- Homemade Cherry Mash Candies from Juanita’s Cocina
- Maple-Date Bars from Diabetic Foodie
- Meyer Lemon Marmalade from Shockingly Delicious
- Mini Samoa Bundt Cakes from Ruffles & Truffles
- Molten Chocolate Lava Cake from Gotta Get Baked
- Peanut Butter and Jelly Cupcakes from The Meltaways
- Pistachio and Chocolate Souffle from Small Wallet Big Appetite
- Raspberry Custard Tart from Kudos Kitchen
- Raw Fudge Love from Mama’s Blissful Bites
- Red Velvet Cheesecake Brownies from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Red Velvet French Macarons with White Chocolate Cream Cheese Filling from The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Red Velvet Ice Cream Sandwiches from Cravings of a Lunatic
- Red Velvet Sandwich Cookies from Magnolia Days
- Red Velvet Sugar Cookie Bars from Chocolate Moosey
- Red Wine Cupcakes with Mascarpone Frosting from The Urban Mrs.
- Strawberry Shortcake! from The Foodie Army Wife
- Strawberry Valentine Cake Hearts from Ninja Baking
- Tres Leches Tea Cakes with Honey Riesling Soaked Fruit from Neighborfood
- Valentine’s Bakewell Tarts from Happy Baking Days
- Valentines Chocolate Apples from Big Bear’s Wife
#SundaySupper Valentine’s Day Drinks:
- Blood Orange Vodka Martinis from The Catholic Foodie
- Bloody Raspberry Cocktail from My Cute Bride
- Strawberry Gin Fizz from girlichef
#SundaySupper Valentine’s Day Tablescape: A Romantic Table For Two Please from An Appealing Plan
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on Twitter on Sunday, February 10th to talk all about Valentine’s eats and treats!
We’ll tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET and you do not want to miss out on the fun.
Follow the#SundaySupper hashtag, and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat.
Check out our#SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos!