Today is a very special day for #SundaySupper. We are celebrating our very first birthday! For one year, #SundaySupper has been inspiring families with home cooked meals every Sunday. Most Sundays, you will read my accolades about the #SundaySupper family and the camaraderie we share. The internet is a huge place, and I feel quite privileged to have found a very special group with whom I can break bread with and get to know through their weekly posts. I remember my very first #SundaySupper post. I joined in April 2012. The theme was Budget Friendly Meals and I made Baked Butternut Squash & Asparagus Risotto. I loved that recipe. And I still bake my Risotto to this day. There were about 12 of us participating that day. Who knew that #SundaySupper would become such an integral part of my blogging experience. We get to learn about cuisine from all over the world. We learn about family history and traditions.
We are celebrating this week’s birthday event by choosing recipes from contributors that have inspired us during the past year. Honestly, it took me a few days to decide on a recipe from past #SundaySupper events. I finally decided on a very colourful and healthy salad that was part of the event titled “100 recipes every mom should have“ by Katie Workman. This event was held in July so I was unable to participate since I was on vacation. But I felt like I didn’t skip a beat. Every recipe for our #SundaySupper events is listed on the Family Foodie website for ongoing inspiration.
I was inspired by a post from Sunithi, from Sue’s Nutrition Buzz. Her post was titled “Skillet Spinach Corn with Edamame and Bacon Bits“. Absolutely delightful! This recipe totally fit in with my current mindset which is to eat healthy! The ingredients are items that I generally have on hand and the combination of colours is just absolutely visually appealing. Sue always posts healthy recipes which I have always appreciated. I know you will love and appreciate this recipe from our #SundaySupper archives.
- 1 Cup Sweet Corn
- 1 Cup Edamame
- 2 Heaping handfuls of baby Spinach
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 1/2 Red Sweet Pepper, slice and diced
- 1/4 Cup Cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 Cup Red and Orange Cherry Tomatoes
- 2 Slices Bacon
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 1 Tsp Ground Black Pepper
- 1/2 Tsp Cumin
- In a serving dish, place spinach to cover most of the dish.
- In a skillet, cook bacon until crispy. Transfer to a dish lined with paper towels to absorb the oil. Break up into bits.
- Drain the skillet of most of the oil, reserving about a tablespoon
- Add scallions to the hot skillet and sautee for about a minute
- Add corn, edamame, sweet pepper, salt & pepper and cumin to the skillet. Sautee for about 4 minutes
- Add cilantro and fold in gently
- Add tomatoes and fold in and allow to warm through for about a minute
- Using a large spoon, transfer the contents of the skillet to the bed of spinach.
- The heat from the salad will cause the spinach to soften nicely
- Top the salad with the bacon bits. Serve warm and enjoy
The main change to the original recipe – I did not add the spinach to the skillet. It will soften when the corn and edamame are placed on top. I also changed the title just a bit because of this change. I also did not use any oils. I just used some of the fat rendered from the bacon. It gave the salad such flavour!
I can see this salad being served with most meats as a side dish. I had it myself as a main dish and it certainly hit the spot. The salty bacon, the creamy edamame, the cilantro, the sweet corn, the tomatoes, sweet pepper..they all combined very well together.
Here are the recipes from the #SundaySupper family. They all look wonderful! This must have been a big task! After all, How do you choose just one recipe from 52 weeks of fabulous Sunday Supper Recipes?
Sunday Supper Appetizers:
- Hot Spinach Parmesan Dip by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks inspired by Comfy Cuisine
- So Simple Pizza Puffs by The Weekend Gourmet inspired by Hip Foodie Mom
- Pepperoni and Mozzarella Pull Apart by Noshing With The Nolands inspired by In the Kitchen with KP
Sunday Supper Soups and Breads:
- Lasagna Soup by The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen inspired by Cravings of a Lunatic
- Easy Italian Wedding Soup by Webicurean inspired by Family Foodie
- Roasted Butternut Squash and Sage Soup by Damn Delicious inspired by Cupcakes and Kale Chips
- Honey Butter Dinner Rolls by Dinners, Dishes and Desserts inspired by Chocolate Moosey
- Chicken Noodle Soup by Big Bears Wife inspired by My Catholic Kitchen
- Tomato Florentine Soup by Mama Mommy Mom inspired by The Meltaways
- Chicken Soup with Dumplings by Comfy Cuisine inspired by The Messy Baker
- Coconut Curry Chicken Soup by My Trials in the Kitchen inspired by Damn Delicious
Sunday Supper Main Dishes:
- Portuguese Mussels and Shrimp in Chorizo Sauce by Supper for a Steal inspired by Family Foodie
- (GlutenFree) Chicken Bruschetta by The Meltaways inspired by Family Foodie
- Feijoada Portuguese Bean Stew by Kimchi Mom inspired by Family Foodie
- Lentils and Chorizo Stew by Galactosemia in PDX inspired by Vintage Kitchen
- Carnitas Pizza w/ Chipotle-Avocado Crema by girlichef inspired by Damn Delicious
- Chicken and Black Bean Enchiladas by Country Girl in the Village inspired by Webicurean
- Drunken Meatballs by Small Wallet Big Appetite inspired by The Foodie Army Wife
- Goat Cheese Rigatoni Alfredo by Magnolia Days inspired by Family Foodie
- Dorie’s Chicken-in-the-Pot by Hip Foodie Mom inspired by Gotta Get Baked
- Pulled Pickled Pork by Juanita’s Cocina inspired by Daily Dish Recipes
- Hoisin Asian Meatballs by Gotta Get Baked inspired by Damn Delicious
- Shrimp-Stuffed Twice Baked Potatoes by Daily Dish Recipes inspired by Juanita’s Cocina
- Soy, Orange Juice and Red Wine Marinade by Peanut Butter and Peppers inspired by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Chicken Burger with Curried Cabbage Slaw by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings inspired by Soni’s Food
- Corn and Basil Handpies by Curious Cuisiniere inspired by Vintage Kitchen Notes
- Lightened Up Slow Cooker Indian Butter Chicken by Cupcakes and Kale Chips inspired by The Meltaways
- Jalapeño Popper Chicken Chili by Food Lust People Love inspired by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Bigos by Maroc Mama inspired by From Fast Food to Fresh Food
- Crispy Coconut Chicken Strips with Sweet Chili Sauce by From Fast Food to Fresh Food inspired by Crispy Bits and Burnt Ends
- Pork Loin with Port Shallot Sauce by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen inspired by Vintage Kitchen Notes
- Sweet & Tender Brisket by Daddy Knows Less inspired by Juanita’s Cocina
- Fish Tacos by Cookistry inspired by Little Ferraro Kitchen
- Homemade Harissa by Masala Herb inspired by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Spicy Seoulful Pulled Pork Sandwiches by Family Foodie inspired by Kimchi Mom
- New Orleans Style White Beans & Rice by Catholic Foodie inspired by The Hand that Rocks the Ladle
- Spice Rubbed Chicken Tacos with Tropical Salsa by The Urban Mrs. inspired by Family Foodie
- Mac n Cheese Cups with Pork Shoulder Ragu by Crispy Bits and Burnt Ends inspired by Hip Foodie Mom
Sunday Supper Veggies:
- Carrots au Gratin by Shockingly Delicious inspired by Juanita’s Cocina
- Skillet Corn and Edamame with Spinach and Bacon by The Lovely Pantry inspired by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
Sunday Supper Desserts and Snacks:
- Chocolate Brownie Tart by That Skinny Chick Can Bake inspired by Magnolia Days
- Mexican Hot Cocoa Sandwich Cookies by Chocolate Moosey inspired by Juanita’s Cocina
- Cinnamon Apple Chimichangas by La Cocina de Leslie inspired by Juanita’s Cocina
- Apple Pull Apart Bread with Caramel Drizzle by Cravings of a Lunatic inspired by Gotta Get Baked
- Cherry Tart by Happy Baking Days inspired by Vintage Kitchen
- Orange Rolls by No One Likes Crumbley Cookies inspired by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Caramel Apple Bread by The Foodie Army Wife inspired by Fam Friends Food
- Rosettes by Simply Gourmet inspired by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Pumpkin Donut Puffs by Soni’s Food inspired by Daily Dish Recipes
- Chocolate Chip Cut-out Cookies by Basic and Delicious inspired by Chocolate Moosey
- Nutella Shortbread Bars by Kelly Bakes inspired by Baker Street
- Butterscotch Pudding Triple Chip Cookies by Mom’s Test Kitchen inspired by Dinner Dishes and Desserts
- Chocolate Fudge Brownie Ice Cream by The Messy Baker Blog inspired by Cravings of a Lunatic
- Angel Cake Sandwiches by Ninja Baker inspired by That Skinny Girl Can Bake
- Soft Pretzels with Spicy Beer Cheese Sauce by Vintage Kitchen inspired by girlichef
- Sweet N Spicy Roasted Spiced Nuts by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz inspired by The Foodie Army Wife
- Cheesecake with Fresh Berries by An Appealing Plan inspired by The Messy Baker Blog
- Spiced Pumpkin Ricotta Oat Muffins by In the Kitchen with Audrey inspired by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Budget Friendly Breakfast Freezable Bacon, Egg, and Cheese Sandwiches by In The Kitchen with KP inspired by Big Bear’s Wife
- Raspberry Hot Chocolate by My Catholic Kitchen inspired by Momma’s Meals
Sunday Supper Wine Pairings by ENOFYLZ Wine Blog
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter each Sunday. We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET and you do not want to miss out on the fun. Follow the#SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat.
Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here → Sunday Supper Movement.