I’ve been craving cheesecake for a while now. In fact, I can’t even remember the last time I had some. Cheesecake has got to be one of my favourite desserts. I am a bit picky though. I have a weird thing about texture so my cheesecake has to be smooth and without chunky ingredients. Not to say that I won’t enjoy a cheesecake with fruits etc, but it probably wouldn’t be my first choice. A topping is fine – such as a classic cherry cheesecake. There’s just something about a cheesecake that brings such pleasure to the palate. The creamy texture. The delicious delight that it is. Some days, I just really need cheesecake. Today’s #SundaySupper theme is Cheese, Cake and Cheesecake. Our lovely host is Angie from Big Bear’s Wife.
I wanted to make something that worked well with cream cheese. Perhaps another favourite ingredient. I didn’t have to look far for a recipe. I reached for a recent addition to my cookbook collection – 500 Cakes by Susannah Blake. It was an obvious choice for me to choose the Chocolate Cheesecake. There were quite a few cheesecake recipes to choose from so I imagine upon the arrival of my next cheesecake craving, I know where I should look first.
- 2 Cups Finely ground graham cracker crumbs
- 2 Tsp Unsweetened Cocoa Powder (and extra for dusting)
- 3/4 Cup Unsalted Butter, melted
- 7 Oz Semisweet Chocolate
- 16 Oz Low Fat Cream Cheese, softened (2 X 8oz packs)
- 3/4 Cup Low Fat Sour Cream
- 3/4 Cup Superfine Sugar
- 2 Tsp Cornstarch
- 3 Large Eggs
- 1 Tbsp Instant Coffee dissolved in 1 Tbsp Boiling Water
- Grease an 8-inch springform cake pan. Line with parchment paper
- In a medium bowl, mix graham cracker crumbs, melted butter and cocoa powder
- Place crumb mixture into the pan. Using your fingers, press the crumbs down and about half way up the sides, forming a firm crust.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes
- Melt the chocolate in a heatproof bowl, over a pot of simmering water to melt. The bowl should not be touching the simmering water. The steam is what gently melts the chocolate. Stir occasionally, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- Preheat your oven to 320F
- Retrieve your cake pan and wrap with 2 layers of foil. Wrap the bottom of the pan with the intention of keeping water from seeping in during baking.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese until smooth
- Beat in the sour cream, sugar and cornstarch
- Beat in eggs, one at a time until fully combined
- Fold in the melted chocolate and the coffee liquid until fully incorporated
- Pour the mixture into the prepared cake pan and level off using an offset spatula
- Place the cake pan into an oven proof pan or dish, that has a deep rim - a little taller than your cake pan.
- Pour enough boiling water into the dish until it gets about half way up the side of the cake pan
- Bake for 50 minutes until set
- Allow to cool completely
- Refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight
- To serve: carefully remove the springform pan and dust the cake with cocoa powder and shredded chocolate
Adapted from 500 Cakes by Susannah Blake
It seemed a little odd at first, to make a cake with no flour. But then I remembered that I’ve made a few flourless cakes – I just don’t make them often enough.
The crust came together very well and did exactly what I needed it to do. I actually made the graham crumbs myself using my little Magic Bullet. That little gadget has really proven its worth. It gets more use than my blender. I cannot emphasize enough – wrap the springform pan well to avoid water seeping in.
The decision to add the mocha component happened as I was folding in the melted chocolate. Although the batter smelled wonderful, I wanted to give it a gentle kick to bring it up a notch. I’ll try the plain version another time. Hence the mocha cheesecake was created!
I used the biggest pan I had that was deep enough to bake this cake. Thank goodness for my roasting pan!
The cake came out great! Almost perfect, actually. As it cooled, the edges pulled away from the pan and this made it easier to transfer to a serving dish.
Slicing this cheesecake was a delight. The texture was so creamy and smooth. It was like we were meeting for this first time, this cheesecake and I. It took some time to prepare, and a little additional effort – but my oh my, it was worth it.
We enjoyed our Mocha Cheesecake. I enjoyed just looking at it even before I took the first bite! LOL!
The #SundaySupper Group has some super fantastic recipes for this week! Check out the savory cheese dishes, wonderful cakes and amazing cheesecakes!
- Garlic and Goat by Supper for a Steal
- Quick and Easy Homemade Cottage Cheese by The Meltaways
- Homemade Velveeta Cheese by Juanitas Cocina
- Cheesy Spinach and Artichoke Dip with Parmesan Crisps by BigBearsWife
- Irish Cheese Soufflés by girlichef
- Paneer Tikka Masala by Kimchi Mom
- Creamy Meyer Lemon Pasta with Homemade Ricotta and Broccoli by The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Ricotta Croquettes by Basic N Delicious
- Cheeseburger Soup by Dinners Dishes and Desserts
- Cherry Blossom Crescents by The Ninja Baker
- Saag Paneer! Golden Roasted Ricotta In Savory Spinach Sauce by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Sourdough Cheese Crackers by Curious Cuisiniere
- Basil Balsamic Strawberries & Whipped Feta Grilled Cheese by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Lox and Cream Cheese Mini Omelettes by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Buffalo Cream Cheese Stuffed Chicken by In The Kitchen With KP
- Baked Mozzarella Sticks by Mama’s Blissful Bites
- Paneer Indian Cottage Cheese Pancake by Masala Herb
- Crepes with Strawberry Mascarpone Cream Filling by Soni’s Food
- Roasted Pears with Pecorino by Happy Baking Days
- Pan-Fried Halloumi Cheese Salad by The Catholic Foodie
- Chevre Torte with Mango and Sweet Pepper Salsa by Noshing with the Nolands
- Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting by Hezzi D’s Books & Cooks
- Sour Cream Chocolate Chip Cake by Gourmet Drizzles
- Dairyfree Ice Cream Cake by Galactosemia in PDX
- KitKat Chocolate Cake by The Urban Mrs.
- Old Fashioned Caramel Cake by There and Back Again
- Peanut Butter Banana Bundt Cake with Chocolate Chips by Gotta Get Baked
- Flourless Chocolate Bean Cake by Vintage Kitchen
- Dense Chocolate Cherry Cake by What Smells So Good?
- Tequila Lime Cupcakes by Mama Mommy Mom
- Almond Polenta Cake by Shockingly Delicious
- Salmon Cakes by Family Foodie
- Banana Split Bundt Cake with Chocolate Glaze by NeighborFood
- Kit Kat Cheesecake Brownies by Chocolate Moosey
- Reese’s Chocolate Peanut Butter Bundt Cake by Daily Dish Recipes
- Nutella Cheesecake Brownies by The Foodie Army Wife
- Individual Strawberry and White Chocolate Cheesecakes by Small Wallet Big Appetite
- Grasshopper Cheesecake Bars by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Chocolate Covered Cherry Cheesecake by Magnolia Days
- Mini Toddler Cherry Cheesecakes by In the Kitchen with Audrey and Maurene
- Mocha Cheesecake by The Lovely Pantry
- Lime Cheesecake Bites by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- No-Bake Banana Sundae Cheesecake by The Messy Baker
- Mini Raspberry Cheesecakes with White Chocolate Crusts by Cupcakes and Pearls
- Savory Shrimp Cheesecake with Herbs and Garlic by Food Lust People Love
- Cheesecake au Baileys by Baker Street
- Tiny Turtle Cheesecakes (No Bake) by Cravings of a Lunatic
- Peanut Butter and Chocolate Chip Mini Cheesecakes by Cookistry
- Chocolate Cheesecake Bites by Mom, What’s For Dinner?
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter each Sunday. We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. This week we will be sharing our love of Cheese, Cakes AND Cheesecakes! Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm EST!