Recently, I’ve developed this fascination with coconut products that are out there. There are a lot of course, jumping on the coconut health food band-wagon. The use of coconut and its by-products has been well established in the Caribbean. I have only been using Coconut Oil and Coconut Milk for the past few months due to my growing interest in all things “natural” and healthy. Recently, I attended the Good Food Festival in Toronto and found the best thing I’ve ever tasted!! Okay, perhaps I’m going a tad bit over board. But I can honestly say I love what I found. I had no idea that it existed.
Have you ever heard of Coconut Jam? If you are familiar – kudos to you. If you are like me, and this is a new phenomenon to you… welcome! From the moment I tasted the samples at the booth, I knew I found something really cool. It comes in a few flavours – plain, vanilla and mango. The difference was really subtle between them, but I went with the mango. I’ve had it on toast and english muffins, but I wanted to do something extra special so I adapted a basic muffin recipe and created my very own Coconut Jam Muffin. I should actually call it Triple Coconut – Jam Muffins because I used some Coconut Flour. And some Coconut Milk too. This is my first time cooking with coconut flour as well as the coconut jam. It came out very well. Certified AWESOME. I need to contact the company and secure some more of this good stuff. I’m hooked!
Coconut Jam Muffins
|Coconut Jam Muffins
Recipe Type: Muffin
Prep time: 20 mins
Cook time: 20 mins
Total time: 40 mins
A coconut infused muffin with coconut jam in the centre
- 1 1/2 Cups All Purpose Flour, Unbleached
- 1/2 Cup Coconut Flour
- 1 Tbsp Baking Powder
- 1/8 Tsp Salt
- 3/4 Cup Superfine Sugar
- 2 Large Eggs
- 1 Cup Light Coconut Milk
- 6 Tbsp Melted, cooled unsalted butter
- 1 Tsp Vanilla Extract
- 4 Tbsp Coconut Jam
- 2 Tbsp Turbinado Sugar (Raw Sugar)
- Preheat your oven to 400F
- Grease a 12 cup muffin pan or line with paper liners
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt into a large bowl
- Stir in the coconut flour and superfine sugar
- In a medium bowl, lightly beat the eggs. Beat in the coconut milk, butter and vanilla extract
- In the bowl with the flours, make a well and pour in the liquid ingredients. Stir gently to combine and take care not to over mix
- In either the muffin liners, or greased muffin cup, fill each cup half way. Add about a teaspoon of jam into the centre of the batter of each cup.
- Fill each cup with the remaining batter to cover the jam.
- Sprinkle the batter with some Turbinado sugar
- Bake for about 20 minutes until muffins are golden brown and firm to the touch
Adapted from the book “100 Muffins from 1 Easy Recipe”
I need to contact these people. We need to be friends. VERY good friends.
Coconut Jam with Mango
I used some teaspoons to drop a small amount into the batter. I like that a little goes a long way. This jam smells so good. The kids loved it too – on toast, on crackers, in a sandwich and in muffins!
Teaspoon of Coconut Jam
I placed a dab of jam in the centre of the batter… just like this…
Coconut Jam in half a muffin cup of Coconut Muffin Batter
Then I covered it with more batter, then sprinkled it with my topping of preference if I am not using a streusel ~ Raw Sugar! I love that little crunch!
Batter and Turbinado Sugar
This one is mine!!!
Coconut Jam oozing out of the muffin
Allow muffins to cool for a few minutes because the jam will be hot. Don’t ask me how I know this.
Coconut Jam Muffins - ready
Aside from the amazing aroma these muffins gave my home, I really love a few things about these muffins. Just looking at them, they look like ordinary muffins. Nothing special, at a glance. A few crunchy bits on the top, and a tender but firm exterior. But then there’s that one muffin where the jam started to ooze out. That is what drew me to that muffin, that slight difference. A slight imperfection, perhaps? Many times, there is goodness in the ordinary. We just have to take a chance and dig deep. See beyond what is right before us. Only then, will we see and experience that beautiful sweetness and goodness that a muffin can offer.
Coconut Jam in the middle
Biting into that jam was the business! LOL! Happy Monday everyone!