I seemed to have developed a strange attraction and liking to dumplings. But not the dumplings that my mom or grandmother made. These dumplings are not the Caribbean way! But I just love them! I also love the way the chicken is cooked down into a stew. My husband loves how fluffy the dumplings are, and I totally agree.
This Chicken and Dumpling meal truly makes me happy. No leftovers whenever I make this
I know you guys loved the Chicken Soup With Dumplings. But THIS is where the party is at! LOL Yes, I love it that much.
- 2 Tbsp Butter
- 1 Medium Onion, diced
- 5 Carrots, cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces on the diagonal
- 1 Tsp Dried thyme
- 1/4 Cup Unbleached, All Purpose flour
- 1 3/4 Cup Low Sodium Chicken Broth
- 8 Chicken Thighs, Skinless, Boneless
- Salt & Pepper
- Grapeseed Oil (to cook chicken)
- 3/4 Cup Unbleached, All Purpose Flour
- 1 3/4 Tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 1/2 Cup Milk (I used 2%)
- 1 Cup Peas, thawed from frozen
- Season Chicken with salt and pepper
- In a skillet, add some Grapeseed oil and brown chicken on both sides
- Remove chicken from skillet and set aside
- In a warm dutch oven over medium heat, add butter.
- When butter has melted, add onion and sauté until softened
- Add Carrots and Thyme
- Stir 3-5 minutes over medium heat
- Add 1/4 cup flour to make a roux. Stir in gradually to combine
- Gently whisk in chicken broth
- Bring to a boil while whisking to remove any lumps of flour
- Add Chicken. Cover and cook for about 15 minutes
- In a medium bowl, add flour, baking powder, salt and milk
- Combine with a fork
- Using 2 spoons, form dumplings and place in the dutch oven (about 14-16 small dumplings)
- Cover and cook for 15 minutes (stir once or twice during this time to ensure chicken doesn't stick the bottom of the dutch)
- Add peas
- Cook for 5 minutes until peas warmed through and dumplings are cooked
- Gently stir
- Serve immediately
Adapted from Everyday Food
This is a definite favourite for me. I just need to win the kids over and then this could be a weekly item. Too bad they are going through that funny texture phase.
Okay, I need to back away from the computer. I’m getting hungry for dumplings.
Have a great week, everyone!