Spelt Cream Cheese Chocolate Chip Cookies
Cookies are a wonderful treat. Some cookies, take a little time to prepare and others can be made on a whim if you have the right ingredients on hand. I really have to be in the mood to make the type of cookie that takes up time in the kitchen. These cookies? Nothing short of brilliant. I came across it some time ago but wasn’t into making cookies yet. I’m glad I saved it and I am definitely glad that I made them.
I found the recipe for Cream Cheese Cookies and wanted to make it as is. No adapting. I wanted to know what the original cookie tasted like. And I almost succeed.
I have been buying a variety of flours, all with the intention of experimenting and finding alternatives to regular flour. There are so many flours that have wonderful nutritional value. The one I have used the most in the past, is Quinoa flour. For this cookie, I chose to use Spelt flour. I didn’t plan to. My hand just steered to the right of the all-purpose flour. Sometimes in life, you just have to take chances.
- 1 Stick Unsalted Butter
- 4oz Light Cream Cheese (softened)
- 1 Cup Spelt Flour
- 1 Cup Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 4 Tbsp Mini Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips
- Preheat oven to 350F
- In a mixing bowl, add butter, cream cheese and sugar. Cream until light and fluffy.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour and salt. Add to the cream cheese mixture and mix until just combined
- Using a cookie scoop, add batter to parchment lined cookie trays, leaving about an inch and a half between them.
- Bake for 12 minutes until the edges are browned and be careful not to over-bake
- Remove from oven and leave on the tray for about 3 minutes and then transfer to a cooling rack.
The chocolate chips didn’t actually make it into the batter until half way through. The first batch was so wonderfully fragrant but I wondered what I could add that would go nicely with these cookies. I added a few mini chocolate chips. The regular chocolate chips seemed too large for these delicate cookies.
I’m not sure how many cookies were taken from this rack while I wasn’t looking. Sticky fingers around here. I don’t blame them.
I liked how delicate and dainty these cookies looked. I’m sure they’d make an excellent gift or even a quick treat if company popped by.
These cookies are absolutely delightful. With or without the chocolate chips, you’ll absolutely LOVE them. A definite keeper.