Mushroom and Bacon Pasta
You have no idea how excited I get when I find a good recipe. I mean a really good recipe. One that I wouldn’t mind having in weekly rotation. A recipe that is surprisingly pleasant to the palate. A recipe that is easy to make and works well when you really don’t know what on earth you are going to make for dinner tonight. I’ve had a few nights like that recently.
My friends, as simple as this recipe is, I think its lovely. I even managed to get my son to eat it. He questioned the mushrooms for a moment (I didn’t put a lot in his plate) but he finished his serving quite happily. I LIVE for moments like that!! I can’t wait for my daughter to follow suit and actually enjoy food. My husband enjoyed it immensely and I will say, it is hard to impress him if there is no meat on his plate!
- 12oz Rigatoni
- 4 Slices Bacon
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 8oz Porcini Mushrooms
- 1 Onion, chopped
- 1 Tsp Dried Thyme
- 2 Cloves Garlic, minced
- 3/4 Cup Chicken Broth
- 3 Tbsp Mascarpone
- 3 Tbsp Fresh Parsley, chopped
- 6 Tbsp Parmesan Cheese
- Salt and Pepper
- Prepare pasta according to package instructions
- In a large hot skillet, add bacon and cook until crispy. Remove from skillet and place on a paper towel to absorb oil. Chop bacon into bits
- In the same skillet, add olive oil
- Add onion, thyme and garlic. Saute for about 3 minutes on medium high heat.
- Add mushrooms and cook for about 5 minutes
- Add broth and bring to a gentle boil. Add mascarpone and stir to combine
- Drain pasta and add to skillet
- Toss until combined and coated in the creamy sauce
- Transfer to serving plates and sprinkle generously with parmesan
Adapted from Prevention.com
I guess I cheated and added bacon to this dish. Bacon is the magical ingredient that seems to give (almost) any dish the upper hand. I had a vision and I ran with it. I adapted a Mushroom Pasta recipe and decided to add bacon because I thought it would pair nicely with the mushrooms. I also substituted white wine for chicken broth.
I’ll be honest, mushrooms are not my favourite food. But in a recipe like this? I will have it and I will enjoy it. I love a good pasta dish. This certainly satisfied any carb cravings I had. I also loved how the mascarpone just melted into the broth and gave it such a creamy sauce-like texture…without the cream! Brilliant!
I’m always looking for easy meals that can nourish and satisfy. I believe this is definitely one of them.