Rum & Raisin Cinnamon Muffins for #MuffinMonday
These muffins were destined to be baked. I’ve been wanting to make Rum & Raisins muffins for a while now. The time just didn’t seem to be right, until now. I was so determined to make these muffins that I made 2 batches before I actually got to the one you see here.
You see, the first batch I made was…well, lets just say I didn’t want to eat them. I realized afterwards that I had too many ingredients, or not enough moisture. Either way, it just was a disaster. I had a good laugh at myself. I don’t often throw anything away but I’m well aware that it can happen. I was a little bit annoyed though, as I don’t like to waste food/ingredients. I couldn’t save them. When I realized where I went wrong, I had renewed confidence and proceeded with a big grin.
And then as soon as I carefully placed the muffins into the oven – I saw a main ingredient on the counter. I forgot to fold in the raisins!!!!! Argh!!!!! Ok, now I was MAD! How could I have forgotten to add the raisins!!!???? I could have continued and called the muffins something else. But I really REALLY wanted raisins! So…I proceeded for the third time to make my muffins.
Has this ever happened to you? A bad baking day that turned out great?
Today’s #MuffinMonday recipe comes from King Arthur Flour – Simply Sinful Cinnamon Muffins. Of course, my own spin made it a tad bit risqué. I think I may have created a filling. Butter, sugar, cinnamon and Jamaican Appleton Rum. I’m going to call it Rum Butter. How’s that for festive?
A Cinnamon infused muffin with rum soaked raisins, and a rum butter centre Ingredients
- 1/3 Cup Turbinado Sugar
- 1/4 Cup Rolled Oats
- 1/4 Cup Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 3 Tbsp Unsalted Butter, softened
- 1 Tsp Cinnamon
- Rum Butter:
- 3 Tbsp Unsalted Butter, melted
- 1/4 Cup Brown Sugar
- 2 Tsp Cinnamon
- 2 Tbsp Dark Rum
- 6 Tbsp Sunflower Oil
- 3/4 Cups Granulated Sugar
- 1 Cup 2% Milk
- 2 Large Eggs
- 2 Cups Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 Tbsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 1 Tsp Allspice
- 1 Tsp Cinnamon
- 1 Cup Raisins
- 1/4 Cup Dark Rum
- In a small bowl, soak raisins in 1/4 Cup rum for about an hour
- Preheat oven to 400F
- Line 2 muffin pans with 15 paper liners
- Topping: In a small bowl, combine turbinado sugar, cinnamon, oats, flour and butter until crumbly. Set aside.
- Rum Butter: Combine melted butter, brown sugar, cinnamon and rum in a small bowl. Refrigerate until you are ready to add to the center of the batter
- In a medium bowl, sift flour, baking powder, salt, allspice and cinnamon. Combine with a whisk. Set aside
- In a large mixing bowl, beat oil and sugar. Add eggs and beat until smooth.
- Add some of the milk and mix to combine. Gradually add flour and milk, mixing between each addition until fully combined.
- Fold in the rum soaked raisins
- Into each liner, add 2 tablespoons batter. Scoop 2 teaspoons of the rum butter into the centre of the batter. Cover with the remaining batter.
- Sprinkle the batter with the topping, gently pressing down to keep the mixture in the batter
The rum butter oozing out of the muffin. The aroma in my kitchen. Just lovely.
A sweet and crunchy topping, for your Monday morning delight.
Moist muffins with a hint of rum.
Muffin Monday is an initiative by Baker Street. A culinary journey of sharing a wickedly delicious muffin recipe every week. Drop in a quick line to join her on her journey to make the world smile and beat glum Monday mornings week after week.
Muffin Monday http://bakerstreet.tv/
Muffin 101: http://bakerstreet.tv/