Bavarian Apple Torte for #SundaySupper
Sunday Supper!!! I’m so glad to be participating again! Sunday Supper has got to be one of my most favourite communities. There’s a lot of fun and support amongst the members behind the scenes. Each Sunday has a unique theme and sometimes, a member gets to host! Don’t miss out on the Twitter chat at 7PM EST. Recipes and ideas are shared all day long, so feel free to jump in at any time using the hashtag #SundaySupper.
Today’s theme is “Autumn Apple Party” where we use wonderful crispy apples as an ingredient in our meal creations. My choice is Bavarian Apple Torte! I made this lovely dessert last year and I was very happy to re-visit the recipe as it was greatly enjoyed. I came across this recipe via Laura Calder’s whose version was titled Easy Pastry Shop Apple Tart. It was super easy and super tasty so here I go again! We have such a talented bunch of contributors this week (and every week)! So many awesome apple recipes to drool over!
Let’s start with mine! Oh so good…such sticky caramelization of the apples on top… I used Gala apples. They are my absolute favourite to bake with.
- Tart Shell:
- 1/2 Cup Butter
- 1/3 Cup Sugar
- 1 Tsp Vanilla
- 1 Cup Unbleached Flour
- Cream Filling:
- 1 Egg
- 1 Tsp Vanilla
- 8oz Cream Cheese, Softened
- 1/4 Cup Granulated Sugar
- 3 Royal Gala Apples, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/4 Cup Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 Tsp Cinnamon
- 1/4 Cup Slivered Almonds
- Preheat oven to 400F
- Tart Shell:
- Cream the butter and sugar. Add vanilla and combine. Add flour and mix until a smooth dough is achieved. Press into the bottom of a pie-dish or an 8-inch spring form pan lined with parchment paper. Give the edges about an inch in height. Bake for 15 minutes and remove from oven.
- Cream Filing:
- Beat egg, vanilla, cream cheese and filling until smooth. Pour on top of the tart shell.
- Topping: In a small bowl, add cinnamon, sugar and almonds. Add apple slices and toss so that the apples are nicely coated. Arrange the slices in top of the cream cheese filling in a circular fashion. Spread any remaining almond/cinnamon/sugar mixture over the apples slices.
- Bake until the apples are tender and golden for about 40 minutes
I tossed the apple slices in batches and it just so happened that I had a few slices left over to munch on while waiting for this little tart to bake. The almonds are totally optional. I didn’t mind the extra crunch to this very special dessert.
As with all baked apple dishes, your kitchen will smell wonderful. I couldn’t wait to dive into this apple torte. My husband loved it! I think he exhibited great self-control when I asked him to wait a few minutes while I took some photographs. Bless his patient little heart!!!
The perfect dessert for Sunday Supper!
Check out the apple dishes prepared by my fellow food bloggers! Apple lovers will have a GRAND time going through this amazing lineup!
Soups, Salads, Starters and Breads
- Cinnamon Apple Chips- Shockingly Delicious
- Apple Celery Salad- In the Kitchen with Audrey and Maurene
- Mini Apple Pumpkin Pancakes – The Daily Dish Recipes
- Overnight Apple Cinnamon French Toast- In the Kitchen with KP
- Curried Apple and Leek Soup-Soni’s Food for Thought
- Endive Spears Topped With Apple, Blue Cheese and Hazelnut Salad- The Hand That Rocks the Ladle
- Homemade Apple Jam – My Trials in the Kitchen
- Caramel Apple Butter Cheesecake Dip- Chocolate Moosey
- Caramel Apple Bread – famfriendsfood
- Apple Pie Bread Baker Street
- Apple, Bacon & Brie Popovers- I Run for Wine
- Apple and Almond Brie Puff Pastry- Family Foodie
- Apple, Leek and Gruyere Tarts- There and Back Again
- Slow Cooker Honey Apple Pork Loin- The Meltaways
- Apple-Glazed Meatballs- The Messy Baker
- Apples & Buttons (Ham, Apples and Dumplings)- Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Skillet Pork with Sweet Spiced Apples- Mama Mommy Mom
- Chicken Apple Meatloaf with Tarragon Tomato Sauce – Diabetic Foodie
- Baked Tilapia Apple Crisp- Daddy Knows Less
- Pork Tenderloin with Calvados Cream Sauce Sustainable Dad
- #SundaySupper Pulled Pork Sandwich With Pickled Red Onions Kwistin’s Favorites
- Harvest Rice- Webicurean
- Wild Rice with Apples, Dried Cranberries, and Walnuts – Ruffles and Truffles
- Apple Topped Sweet Potato Mash- Momma’s Meals
- Warm Spice Pecan Raisin Apple Chutney- Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Double Apple Pot Pie- What Smells So Good?
- Apple Walnut Coffee Cake- The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Apple Streusel Cobbler- Big Bear’s Wife
- Apple & Moroccan Cinnamon Gooey Sticky Buns- Crispy Bits & Burnt Ends
- Spiced Caramel Apple Pie-Chelsea’s Culinary Indulgence
- Apple Pear Kuchen for #SundaySupper (Apfel Birnen Kuchen)- Galactosemia in PDX
- Apple Strudel – Magnolia Days
- Old Fashioned Apple Crisp with Caramel Sauce-Noshing with the Nolands
- Apple Cheesecake- Vintage Kitchen
- Caramel Apple Crumble Bars- Hezzi D’s Books and Cooks
- Apple Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting- From Fast Food to Fresh Food
- Cinnamon Apple Dessert Chimichangas- Juanita’s Cocina
- Nutella Apple Quesadilla- Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts
- Apple Crisp Ice Cream- Cravings of a Lunatic
- Bavarian Apple Torte- The Lovely Pantry
- Streusel Apple Crumb Pie + Pie Freezer Kits- Meal Planning Magic
- French Apple Cobbler with Cinnamon-Maple Whipped Cream Weekend Gourmet
- Chunky Apple-Apricot Bread Pudding- Comfy Cuisine
- Apple Butter Spice Cake – Home Cooking Memories
- Apple Pie and Custard- Happy Baking Days
- #GlutenFree Deep Dish Carmel Apple Pie- Cooking Underwriter
- Apple Brownies That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Country Apple Dumplings- Mom’s Test Kitchen
- Apple-Gingersnap Cookies- Tora’s Real Food
- Apple and Cranberry Turnovers- Flour on my Face
- Applesauce Chocolate Chip Bundt Cake with Caramel Glaze- Hip Foodie Mom
- Caramel Frosted Apple Cookies- No One Likes Crumbley Cookies
- Apple and Pecans Cake- Basic N Delicious
- Apple Pull Apart Monkey Bread- Gotta Get Baked
We’d also love to feature your apple recipes on our #SundaySupper Pinterest board and share them with all of our followers!