Quinoa Pasta with Roasted Zucchini and Cheese
Last nights dinner was so very interesting to me. I knew I had to roast some zucchini that was begging to be eaten. I also wanted to try the Quinoa Pasta that I bought a few days ago. I had never seen it before and I wanted give it a try so I could see how it tasted and how the texture compared to regular pasta. And there’s the cheese. I’ve always had a thing for cheese. It’s not something that I will give up easily, so bear with me as you see cheese all over this recipe. I kept it subtle. Promise …Although I purposely avoided measuring how much cheese I used…
It was tasty, meatless and certainly something I intend to have again. My hubby thought it was quite nice. I don’t think I could convince him to have this without some meat though. He is far from a part-time vegetarian, like what I’m on the path to becoming. Baby steps. As I read more about it and find recipes that suit my palate, I’m truly considering reducing my meat consumption.
Here’s the finished result…another freestyle recipe
As for the Quinoa Pasta, I realized that it takes a little longer to cook than regular pasta. The package suggested 13-15 minutes – spot on. Anything before that, it’s still rather firm. Also, you have to eat it right away. I decided to toss it in a cheese mixture in order to make it moist on the outside. I don’t do dry pasta very well. A cream sauce or olive oil is pretty much mandatory. The texture of quinoa pasta is just fine and I would not have noticed the difference at all. I will buy it again, if I come across it. Its Quinoa. I can’t go wrong. Right?
|Quinoa Pasta with Roasted Zucchini and Cheese||
- 2 Medium Zucchini
- Salt & Pepper
- Olive Oil for bushing the Zucchini
- Few Tbsp grated or shredded Parmesan Cheese
- 8 oz Quinoa Pasta (or whatever pasta you prefer)
- 1 Scallion, sliced thinly
- 2 Tbsp Cream Cheese (I used reduced fat)
- 2 Tbsp Chicken Broth
- Preheat oven to 425F
- In a medium pot, bring about 4 cups of salted water to a boil
- Add quinoa pasta and cook according to package directions
- Cut ends off zucchini then slice each into 6 wedges
- Grease a rimmed baking tray with olive oil
- Place zucchini, skin side down on the greased baking tray
- Brush with olive oil then sprinkle with salt, pepper and parmesan
- Roast for 20 minutes, until the zucchini is golden brown
- In a medium pot, add cream cheese, chicken broth and parmesan
- On medium heat, still until melted and combined
- When pasta is ready, drain and add to cream cheese mixture
- Toss to lightly coat
- Add salt and pepper to taste
- Cut zucchini into chunks and stir in or serve on the side
- Garnish with Scallion and parmesan flakes
I used Quinoa Pasta but you can use any pasta for this recipe
I got my son to eat the zucchini. I had to basically emphasize that it had cheese on it. Not that there was too much, but he needs encouragement to eat “new” veggies. He has lettuce, green beans and broccoli under his belt. He needs to conquer zucchini so I can move on to another vegetable. Goodness rules in my house!
Roasted zucchini, fresh out the oven. So fragrant. Even the crispy parmesan stuck to the tray looked good to me.
Zucchini never tasted so good.
What a way to start the week. Happy Monday friends!