Chocolate Stout Cake
I tried to resist making this. I really did. But I had all the ingredients! I just had to.
I picked up a little recipe book called Irish Favourites and the recipes were interesting… as in, I’d make most of the recipes in the book! It was perfect timing seeing that St.Patrick’s day is right around the corner. The original recipe had a cream cheese frosting but I opted out. The chocolate cake is bad enough. And by bad, I mean good.
|Chocolate Stout Cake||
- 2 Cups All Purpose Flour, unbleached + more for dusting the pan
- 3/4 Cup unsweetened Cocoa
- 1 Tsp Baking Soda
- 1/4 Tsp Salt
- 3/4 Cup (1 1/2 Sticks) Unsalted Butter, softened
- 1 Cup packed Light Brown Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 Tsp Vanilla
- 3 Eggs
- 1 Cup Stout, at room temperature (I used Jamaican Dragon Stout)
- 1 1/2 Cup Icing Sugar
- 3-4 Tbsp Hot Water
- 2 Tbsp Green Sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Spray a 10 inch Bundt Pan (a 13 X 9 inch baking pan) with cooking spray, then dust with flour
- Combine flour, cocoa and salt in a medium bowl. Set aside
- Beat butter, brown sugar and granulated sugar with a mixer at medium speed until light and fluffy
- Beat in vanilla
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition
- Add flour mixture alternately with stout, beating after each addition
- Pour batter evenly into prepared pan
- Bake for 35-40 minutes until a sharp knife or toothpick inserted into the centre comes out
- Allow to cool completely in the rack
- In a small measuring cup, sift in icing sugar. Add hot water and stir until smooth. Pour over the cake and add sprinkles for final touch
Look what I found – Jamaican Dragon Stout. The sweeter alternative to Guinness. My hubby had a stash and was nice enough to let me use one. I’m not a stout drinker myself, but I think I may like cooking with it.
The recipe called for a 13 X 9 inch baking pan but I thought it would be more interesting to use a Bundt pan. Okay, I just really wanted to use it. This is my first Bundt cake. Chocolate Stout Bundt Cake. Sounds good!
Glazing was some messy fun! Me and my daughter had green fingers for a while…
A rich but not too sweet chocolate cake, made with a Jamaican stout…just in time for St. Patrick’s Day.
About how long do I need to walk on the treadmill to fix this?